How Does the Kestrel 5400 Fire Weather Pro WBGT Work?
The Kestrel 5400 Fire Weather Pro WBGT uses a 1-inch black globe to gather information about the environment, which isn’t possible with current Kestrels. As is true with the original Wet Bulb Globe Temperature apparatus, a temperature sensor is installed inside the globe that will measure the temperature inside. The temperature inside the globe is a function of the ambient air temperature, solar insolation and wind speed.
As one can imagine, a sunny day will make the globe hotter because it’s painted black, and colder ambient temperatures will have a tendency to cool off the globe. Lastly, the wind will cause the globe to get closer to the ambient air temperature because it will carry heat away from the globe when the air is cooler, or increase heat transfer to the globe if the air is warmer than the globe.
The Kestrel Meter 5400FW Heat Stress Meter measures/features
- PIG Screen (Probability of Ignition)
- FDFM Screen (Fine Dead Fuel Moisture)
- Wet Bulb Globe Temperature (“WBGT”)
- Thermal Work Limit (“TWL”)
- Waterless! Natural Wet Bulb Temperature accurately calculated from on-board digital sensors with no tedious setup or maintenance.
- Large, hi-res, hi-contrast, graphic display is perfectly readable in the brightest sunlight and is backlit for use in low-light conditions.
- Globe Temperature
- Naturally Aspirated Wet Bulb Temperature
- Wind Speed (Current, Average, & Maximum)
- Pressure trend
- Barometric pressure
- Relative humidity in %
- Accuracy: +/- 2%RH
- Sensors: 10 to 90% 25°C non-condensing
- Calibration Drift: Typically less than +/- 0.25% per year!
- Heat stress index
- Wet bulb temperature
- Density altitude
- Wind chill
- Air, water, and snow temperature °F or °C
- Waterproof and floats
- Time and date
- Easy- to-read backlit display
- Data Logger (automatic and manual)
- Customizable data storage – 2900 data points
- Humidity sensor can be calibrated in the field with our Relative Humidity Calibration Kit.
- Customize screens to display user-selected measurements
- Graph and recall trends
- User-replaceable impeller
- Data charting
- Upload to a computer (with optional interface)
- Meets MIL-STD-810F 516.5 Procedure IV Transit Shock test – 20 drops from 5 ft. IP-67 sealed to exclude dust and water at 3 ft. submersion
- Five languages (English, French, Spanish, German, and Italian)
- US Patent Nos. 5,783,753 and 5,939,645 and 6,257,074
- Made in the USA
- 5 Year Warranty
Works with Compatible Apps: (Screen shots of Free Kestrel Connect App with customizable screens)
- PIG (Probability of Ignition) waterproof card
- FDFM (Fine Dead Fuel Moisture) waterproof card
- Neck Lanyard
- AA Lithium Battery (Average Life 400 Hours)
- Protective Drawstring Pouch
- Certificate of Conformity (with complete specifications)
- Instruction Manual
- Five Year Warranty